Gulf Council to Meet in Biloxi, Mississippi
The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council will meet March 30 - April 2, 2015, at the Golden Nugget in Biloxi, Mississippi.
Committee meetings will convene Monday at 8:30 am, concluding at 10:00 am Wednesday.
Some of the Committee highlights include:
The Law Enforcement Management Committee, which will meet to discuss a report from the Law Enforcement Advisory Panel. The Data Collection Committee will review a scoping/options paper for Electronic Charter Boat Reporting.
The Sustainable Fisheries/Ecosystem Management Committee will review and discuss:
- NOAA Climate Change Strategy
- National Standard 1 Proposed Revisions
- Final Action of Decal Requirements for Charter Vessels and Headboats
- Ecosystem Scientific and Statistical Committee Report
The Mackerel Management Committee will review an options paper for a Mackerel Gillnet Framework Action, and the Spiny Lobster Management Committee will review recommendations made by the Spiny Lobster Scientific and Statistical Committee.
On Tuesday, the Reef Fish Management Committee will meet to review:
- Recreational Red Snapper Season Projections
- Presentation on the Headboat Collaborative Program
- Options Paper for Gag Annual Catch Limit, Annual Catch Target, and Seasons
- Take Final Action on a Greater Amberjack Framework Action
- Scoping Summaries on Amendment 36 - Red Snapper Individual Fishing Quota Modifications
- Draft Amendment 28 - Red Snapper Allocation
- Draft Amendment 39 - Regional Management of Recreational Red Snapper
- Joint South Florida Management Options
- Hogfish Overfishing Limits and Acceptable Biological Catch
- Charge to the Reef Fish Headboat Advisory Panel
- Report from the Scientific and Statistical Committee
Wednesday will begin with the Shrimp Management Committee to discuss:
- Biological Review of the Texas Closure
- Summary of the Shrimp Advisory Panel Meeting
- Report on Penaeid Shrimp Maximum Sustainable Yield Acceptable Biological Catch Rule Workshop
- Update on Shrimp Amendment 15
- Scoping document for Shrimp Amendment 17
- Report from the Standing and Special Shrimp Scientific and Statistical Committee
Other committees meetings include:
- Joint Administrative Policy/Budget
- Gulf SEDAR Committee
The full Council will convene in a Closed Session Wednesday at 10:15 am. to make make Advisory Panel appointments before breaking for lunch. The Council reconvenes at 1:00 pm to receive presentations on the following:
- Mandatory Safety Exams for All Commercial Fishing Vessels
- Notice of Intent for a Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Expansion of Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
- Draft Environmental Assessment for Amendment 6 to the Highly Migratory Species Fishery Management Plan
The Council will hear public comment from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Public testimony will be taken on:
- Final Action - Framework Action on Greater Amberjack
- Final Action on Shrimp Amendment 15
- Final Action on Eliminating Charter Vessel/Headboat Decal Requirement
- Open Public Comment
The full Council will resume Thursday at 8:30 am to deliberate and take action on committee recommendations made earlier in the week.
For a copy of the detailed agendas, or to watch the meeting live, please visit http://gulfcouncil.org/council_meetings/index.php or call 888-833-1844. Briefing materials can be downloaded from the Council FTP site at https://public.gulfcouncil.org:5001/webman/index.cgi - username and password are both gulfguest, or found on the Council website at http://gulfcouncil.org/council_meetings/Briefing%20Materials/BB-01-2015/March-April2015Index.php.