The Houston-Galveston Area Council Transportation Policy Council on Friday voted unanimously to approve the Nominating Committee’s recommendations for TPC officers to serve in 2017. Listen (8:10) Item Summary
The committee recommended the following slate:
- Chair - Judge Matt Sebesta, Brazoria County
- 1st Vice Chair - Commissioner Rusty Senac, Chambers County
- 2nd Vice Chair – Commissioner Ken Clark, Galveston County
- Secretary – Mayor Tom Reid, City of Pearland
- Past Chair – Judge Ed Emmett, Harris County
The committee also recommended Port of Houston Authority Chair Janiece Longoria with Port Freeport Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer Phyllis Saathoff as alternate for an at-large position on the TPC for Other Transportation Interests.
Sixteen at-large nominees to the H-GAC Technical Advisory Committee were also approved.
Emmett raised concern about John Tyler of the Harris County Toll Road Authority representing intermodal interests on the TAC.
“Great guy, need him on the Technical Advisory Committee, just not sure if it’s an intermodal interest as opposed to a toll road interest,” said Emmett.
He added that he would like to reexamine the matter in the future.
The policy council voted unanimously to appoint non-voting ex-officio representatives to the TPC.
These members are:
- Brenda Mainwaring, Union Pacific Railroad, representing Freight Rail Interests
- Hugh McCulley, Crady, Jewett & McCulley, LLP, representing Freight Rail Interests
- Sylvia Garcia, Texas State Senator, District 6, representing the Texas Senate
- Rick Miller, Texas State Representative, District 26, representing the Texas House of Representatives
- Phillip Spenrath, County Judge, representing Wharton County
- Paul Reitz, P.E., District Engineer, representing the Texas Department of Transportation’s Yoakum District
The policy council did not have any proposed amendments to the 2040 Regional Transportation Plan and 2017-2020 Transportation Improvement Program to approve.
H-GAC Program Manager David Wurdlow gave a presentation on 2016 project implementation while H-GAC Chief Planner Hans-Michel Ruthe updated the policy council on the work of the Greater Houston Freight Committee and other freight planning activities.
The TPC achieved a quorum of 23 voting members. Agenda Attendance